It can take only 30 minutes or 3 hours – but the pantry is the heart of the home when it comes to your family’s health! Here are five tips to get it sorted quickly:
- Pull out all items and check their expiry dates – no guessing what to do with the out-of-dates! Non-perishables that you no longer need can be donated to a local food bank.
- Setting your sights too high? If an ingredient is part of a complicated recipe or is rarely used (like Tapioca or capers) give them to someone who is a bit more creative in the kitchen who will use it.
- Put “like” with “like” – this way you can see you have 12 cans of tuna and four packets of flour.
- Assign a part of each shelf to a category – tins with tins, baking with baking. If you always put the same ingredients in a dish, store them together (eg spaghetti with pasta sauce and tomato paste) so you don’t have to search each time.
- Put all the loose items into little tubs so they don’t float around and get lost – especially small ones like spices, gravy packets, flavour bottles etc. The perfect solution to all those Tupperware pieces without lids!