If your 2nd biggest asset (your car) is sitting out in the street while your garage is used as a storage shed it is time to set aside a weekend and get sorted!
1. Assess the clutter into three piles: Keep, Donate, and Toss.
2. Donate or Toss: either deliver or arrange for a pickup of items to be donated and put the toss items out with the garbage/recycling. Check out The Men’s Shed (link to http://www.mensshed.org/home/.aspx) for donating tools. They will love you!
3. Sort the Keep pile into their uses such as tools, car stuff, sports equipment, gardening etc.
4. Organise: assign each category an area in the garage and look at installing storage solutions such as cupboards or tubs for sports gear or a peg board system for tools.
5. Shelving: metal or plastic shelving is affordable, easy to assemble, able to withstand heat and humidity and will keep items off the ground safe from dampness.
6. Vertical space: Put up pegs or hooks for items like bikes, cords, hoses, gardening tools etc.
7. Storage: cardboard boxes will tend to bend and succumb to dampness. Plastic tubs protect contents and are easier to shift around on shelves.
8. Labelling: make sure you label plastic tubs for easier identification.
9. Move the car back in!